HITC Sport Live features include:
- Filterable football news directly from HITC, along with transfer talk from other select sites.
- Match views, boasting live match timetables, detailed coverage, and club line-ups. The match view takes the format of a 7 day view, with a calendar to see future matches from all your favourite clubs and competitions.
- League tables and fixtures for all 20+ of our covered competitions
- Favourite clubs and competitions, as selected by the user, which bring a tailored news and match experience to the forefront of the app
- Modern and simple user interface for a clear and easy user experience.
We here at Here is the City (HITC) focus on providing exceptional, current news and views from around the globe. The release of our first application, HITC Sport Live, marked a huge milestone for us as a modern news aggregate site – one which we are keen to share with as many sports enthusiasts as we can. Translating our web experience into an app was the next logical step for us as we adapt to changes in online usage.
As it was our first app we selected iOS because it has a stable platform and development environment, and it has an engaged install base. We felt this would give us the best chance of success and once the product had been proven we could add an Android version. Swift (the language used) ended up being a major plus as the syntax was more familiar to us than Objective-C. We focussed on creating an app we wanted to use, and after 6 months of hard work, thousands of lines of code, and gallons of coffee (probably), we launched on the App Store.
A major challenge was programming for a multi-threaded environment. There are a lot of transferable skills going from web development to app oriented work, but background processing was one that required a complete change in approach. Another challenge has been knowing when to do a full launch, what features were necessary, and what can be left for future updates – especially as we’re entering a reasonably well developed marketplace.
You can download the app in the App-store and we’re currently working on a bunch of exciting new features on the app, including team detail views, social and interactive reporting, and even more user customisation. We’re keenly listening to feedback from our community to deliver what people want, so any good idea that comes our way could potentially be a future feature.
|Project Type||Company Product – Phone & Tablet App (iOS)|
|Collaborators||Rob Sparks / Graham Morris / Chris Jones|
|Duration||April 2015 – January 2016|
|Company||HITC / Entrepreneur Ltd|
|Product||HITC Sport Live (Free)|